Friday, August 7, 2009

Shabbat Shalom



It's Shabbat (Saturday), the final day of the Jewish week, which is the day of rest. So nothing is open, no taxis run, you can't use elevators and basically there's nothing to do. Even though it may seem boring, it's actually quite nice. I'm forced to sit at home and do my homework and read the news and just RELAX.

Last night, for our first Shabbat evening in Israel, the Madrichim (student counselors/RA's/something like that) planned a dinner for us at the Regency Hotel near the school. It wasn't too formal or conservative, but I still got to use the "Shabbat clothing" Mom bought me. I made sure to bring with me some conservative skirts and shirts that I would need when I go to the religious parts of the city, like where the Western Wall and the Old City.

Here's me wearing in a skirt that goes below my knees-amazing!

Shabbat dinner was amazing and I'm looking forward to many more.

I finally went food shopping this past week, which wasn't as frightening as I thought. Although I was really limited in what I could get, because I wasn't too sure what exactly it was, I think I did a decent job. Here's some of the stuff I got. Notice the branding elements that identify the Corn Flakes. So thankful for that!